Letters & IDHAE INFORMATION at IDHAE
Created by the UNION of EUROPEAN LAWYERS (UAE), in 2001, in Luxemburg, the European Bar Human Rights Institute (IDHAE) has as its objective:
- the monitoring of human rights protection
particularly under the European Convention of Human Rights and Fundamental Freedoms of November 4th, 1950 and its Protocols as well as the Charter of Fundamental rights of the European union.
- the training of lawyers in international human rights law particularly relating to the rights of the defence before the international jurisdiction and criminal courts.
- interventions, regardless of the limitations of borders, in favour of freedom and the fundamental rights of lawyers
- organization of the World Observatory for Defence Rights and attacks against lawyers : "Attorney Urgent Alert".
- the organisation of workshops, symposia and seminars related to publications on international human rights law.
The IDHAE participates, in partnership by other institutes members, to the granting the "International Human Rights Prize Ludovic-Trarieux” awarded every year to " a lawyer, regardless of nationality or Bar, who thoroughout his career has illustrated, by his activity or his suffering, the defence of human rights, the promotion of defence rights, the supremacy of law, and the struggle against racism and intolerance in any form ". The award is presented every year in a city that is home to one of the member Institutes.
It is the oldest and most prestigious award given to a lawyer in the world. It commemorates the act by the French lawyer, Ludovic Trarieux (1840-1904), who founded, in 1898, in the midst of the Dreyfus Affair in France, the " League for the Defence of Human Rights and the Citizen".
IDHAE publishes online monthly LE JOURNAL électronique DES DROITS DE L'HOMME.
IDHAE is also publishing various human rights studies, among which the following releases :
· Le procès équitable et la protection juridictionnelle du citoyen (2001)
· Quelle justice pour l'Europe? (2004)
· La protection du droit de propriété par la Cour européenne des droits de l'homme (2005)
· Handicap et protection du droit européen et communautaire (2006)
· L'Avocat DANS le droit européen (2008)
· La Charte des droits fondamentaux dans le Traité de Lisbonne (2009)
You may reproduce materials available at this site for your own personal use and for non-commercial distribution. All copies must include the above copyright notice.